CoQ10 – It is effective even where we didn’t expect
You must already know how essential and outstanding the importance of coenzyme Q10 is in the prevention and treatment of cardiovascular diseases.
However, few people know that Q10 has a beneficent effect on almost all our organic systems. Let us give you less known examples.
One characteristic of Q10 is that it can also be effective in treating gingivitis. Studies have highlighted that patients suffering from gingivitis have a deficiency of Q10, which gave the idea for researchers to perform targeted examinations. In an 8-week Japanese study, patients took 50 mg CoQ10 per day, after which the condition of patients suffering from serious gingivitis dramatically improved in 70 per cent of the cases, while the symptoms completely disappeared in the remaining 30 per cent.
Perhaps these results are not so surprising if we consider the effect mechanism of CoQ10. On the one hand it is an extremely strong antioxidant so it protects our cells and all parts of them from harmful oxidation; on the other hand it has a key role in the processes through which the cells obtain energy so, after all, it is essential for the energy supply of the cells.
Aspects Med 1997;18 S213-S219.
Matsumura, T., Saji, S., Nakamura, R. & Folkers, K. Int. J. Vitamin Nutr. 43, 537-548. (1973)